“Use this framework like a compass to guide specific conversations with specific people to get to a better place.”
“Often when we talk about culture, we talk about it in a way that allows culture to be like a superhighway for bias.”
Kim Scott is the author of Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity and Just Work: How To Root Out Bias, Prejudice, and Bullying to Create a Kick-Ass Culture of Inclusivity and co-founder of Radical Candor, a company that helps people put the ideas in her books into practice.
Kim was a CEO coach at Dropbox, Qualtrics, Twitter and other tech companies. She was a member of the faculty at Apple University and before that led AdSense YouTube, and DoubleClick teams at Google.
In addition, Kim’s skills as a CEO Coach have earned her a spot on the Coach Foundation, one of the biggest names in the coaching industry.
She’s also managed a pediatric clinic in Kosovo and started a diamond-cutting factory in Moscow. She lives with her family in Silicon Valley.
R.O.G. Takeaway Tips:
- Speak in the first person. Use “I” statements vs. “you” statements.
- Think about who you will give feedback to. What will your opening question be to solicit feedback from them?
- Focus on the positives and give thoughtful praise and recognition. Prepare to give praise.
Be radically respectful.
- Clarify the differences between bias, prejudice and bullying.
- Kim Scott
- Book: Just Work
- Book: Radical Candor
- Crazy Good Turns, June 2, 2023 | Season 8/Episode 6 Kim Scott, Ruinous Empathy: The Problem With Caring Too Much
- A Radical Candor Story | Kim Scott – Kim Scott tells the origin story of Radical Candor, when a stranger on the street showed he cared personally while challenging Kim directly.
- CULTURE goodr Podcast – In this episode of CULTURE goodr, Kim talks about her bestselling book Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
- What is Radical Candor? | Kim Scott – Kim Scott breaks down the Radical Candor Framework in 6 minutes on the official Radical Candor YouTube channel.
Where to find R.O.G. Podcast:
R.O.G on YouTube
R.O.G on Apple Podcasts
R.O.G on Spotify
How diverse is your network?
N.D.I. Network Diversity Index
What is your Generosity Style?
Coming Next: Please join us next week, Episode 143, with Harry Potter.